Savudrija Lighthouse is the oldest lighthouse in Croatia, located near to the village of the same name, at the northern end of the Istrian peninsula, close to the Slovenian border which is at the southern end of the Gulf of Trieste. Also known as Cape Savudrija lighthouse, prior to the Second world war the light was commonly known as the Punta Salvore Lighthouse.
Completed in 1818, it is the oldest operational light of the Adriatic. Whilst the Italian lighthouse at Barletta known as the Faro Napoleon is considered to have been built at an earlier date in 1807, it was subsequently deactivated and replaced by a breakwater lighthouse in 1959.
It was initially lit with coal gas, the first lighthouse to be designed and operated in this way. Although widely publicised as a success, ongoing problems meant that it was rapidly replaced with an oil fuelled system.
The lighthouse is operated by the state owned company Plovput. Although automated the light is still manned, lighthouse keepers helping to secure and maintain the site. Since 2000, rooms within the lighthouse have also been made available for rent as holiday accommodation.
At a height of 36m above the sea, the light has a range of 30 nautical miles and consists of three flashes of white light every fifteen seconds.